Get A Pradaxa Lawsuit Lawyer
Call the Pradaxa Lawsuit Helpline and speak to a Geriatric medical social worker and a Pradaxa lawyer today. Our Pradaxa lawyers understand that you trusted your physician when they prescribed Pradaxa. It was meant to protect your loved one from a stroke or other cardiac problem. But, the manufacturers of Pradaxa were not upfront about the lack of an antidote for their product and it’s potential dangers. Call us and speak to an experienced dangerous drug lawyer. Our Pradaxa lawyers have decades of experience.
Pradaxa Lawsuit Update
All Pradaxa lawsuits have been consolidated in the Pradaxa MDL No. 2385, in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois. A Pradaxa status conference is set for 10/08/2013 before Chief Judge David R. Herndon. The Bellwether trial criteria for extensive bleeding lawsuits have been set.
What is Pradaxa?
Pradaxa is an anticoagulant used to prevent stroke in Cardiac patients. A stroke is caused by a blood clot that dislodges and ends up in the brain blocking blood flow. Pradaxa® (dabigatran etexilate mesylate) capsules is a prescription blood-thinning medicine used to reduce the risk of stroke and blood clots in people with atrial fibrillation not caused by a heart valve problem. Pradaxa has no anitidote. With other anticoagulants Vitamin K injections can be given to force the blood to clot in an emergency or episode of extensive bleeding. This cannot be done with Pradaxa. Pradaxa has no antidote. If a person who is using Pradaxa requires unexpected surgery, from a fall for instance, the physician treating the patient may have a far more difficult time stopping serious bleeding, because the patient’s blood is unable to clot.
Pradaxa is manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Pradaxa® is a registered trademark of Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH & Co. Their businesses comprise Human Pharmaceuticals and Animal Health.
Pradaxa can Cause excessive bleeding and a brain hemorrhage
What is a Brain hemorrhage
A brain hemorrhage is caused by an artery in the brain bursting and causing localized bleeding in the surrounding area. Extensive bleeding is fatal. Pradaxa causes extensive bleeding. Class action lawyers are accepting cases for brain bleeds from patients taking Pradaxa.
What Happens During a Brain Hemorrhage?
When blood from trauma irritates brain tissues, it causes a brain bleed. The pooled blood collects into a mass called a hematoma. These conditions increase pressure on nearby brain tissue, and that reduces vital blood flow and kills brain cells. This can be fatal.
Bleeding can occur inside the brain, between the brain and the membranes that cover it, between the layers of the brain’s covering or between the skull and the covering of the brain.
What Causes Bleeding in the Brain?
Pradaxa And Our Senior Population
There are several risk factors and causes of brain hemorrhages. The most common include:
- Head trauma. Injury is the most common cause of bleeding in the brain for seniors
- High blood pressure. This condition can weaken blood vessel walls. Untreated high blood pressure is a major preventable cause of brain hemorrhages.
- Aneurysm. This is a weakening in a blood vessel wall that swells. It can burst and bleed into the brain.
- Blood vessel abnormalities. Weaknesses in the blood vessels in and around the brain.
- Amyloid angiopathy. This is an abnormality of the blood vessel walls that sometimes occurs with aging. It may cause many small, unnoticed bleeds before causing a large one.
- Blood or bleeding disorders. Hemophilia and sickle cell anemia can both contribute to decreased levels of blood platelets.
- Liver disease. This condition is associated with increased bleeding in general.
What Are the Symptoms of Brain Bleeding?
The symptoms of a brain hemorrhage can vary. They depend on the location of the bleeding, the severity of the bleeding, and the amount of tissue affected. Symptoms may develop suddenly or over time. They may progressively worsen or suddenly appear.
If you exhibit any of the following symptoms, you may have a brain hemorrhage. This is a life-threatening condition, and you should call 911 or go to an emergency room immediately. The symptoms include:
- a sudden severe headache
- seizures with no previous history of seizures
- weakness in an arm or leg
- nausea or vomiting
- decreased alertness; lethargy
- changes in vision
- tingling or numbness
- difficulty speaking or understanding speech
- difficulty swallowing
- difficulty writing or reading
- loss of fine motor skills, such as hand tremors
- loss of coordination
- loss of balance
- an abnormal sense of taste
- loss of consciousness
If you or a parent or grandparent is on Pradaxa you must be aware of the potential for brain bleeds.
General Symptoms of Pradaxa bleeding include:
FDA and Pradaxa
- Unusual bruising or bleeding / hemorrhaging
- Pink or brown urine
- Red or black tarry stools
- Coughing up blood
- Vomiting that resembles blood or looks like coffee grounds
- Bleeding from the gums
- Frequent nosebleeds
- Joint pain or swelling
- Weakness and swelling of the arms, hands, feet, ankles or lower legs.
The FDA approved Pradaxa® in October 2010, for the prevention of strokes in patients with a heart condition called non-valvular atrial fibrillation (also known as “AF”). Thus, it’s hardly ‘over a year old’ as an anticoagulant in the U.S., and some critics of Pradaxa® have contended that the drug wasn’t tested thoroughly enough before it was put on the market.
The FDA issued a Safety Announcement for Pradaxa which points to heart problems with Pradaxa.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is evaluating post-marketing reports of serious bleeding events in patients taking Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate mesylate). Pradaxa is a blood thinning (anticoagulant)
medication used to reduce the risk of stroke in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (AF), the most common type of heart rhythm abnormality.
On December 7, 2011, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a Safety Communication reporting that it was investigating reports of serious and fatal bleeds in patients taking Pradaxa. Pradaxa lawyers are accepting cases for Pradaxa.
If you are suffering any of these side effects see your doctor immediately. It is easy to get a spontaneous brain bleed while on Pradaxa. A brain bleed can be fatal.
Signs of excessive bleeding or potential complications from Pradaxa include
Lawyers investigating most serious side effects of Pradaxa including:
- bleeding which can be serious, and sometimes lead to death, It may take longer for any bleeding to stop
- unexpected bleeding or bleeding that lasts a long time
- unusual bleeding from the gums
- frequent nose bleeds
- menstrual bleeding that is heavier than normal
- bleeding that is severe or you cannot control
- bruises that happen without a known cause or get larger
- bruising more easily
- coughing up blood or blood clots
- feeling dizzy or weak
- pink or brown urine
- red or black stools
- unexpected pain, swelling, or joint pain
- vomiting blood or vomit that looks like “coffee grounds”
- death from severe or excessive bleeding
- gastrointestinal bleeding
- stomach pain (ulcers, nausea, heartburn, bloating)
- kidney failure (kidney bleeding)
- hemorrhagic stroke cerebral hemorrhage
- heart attack
- brain hemorrhaging
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured by Pradaxa call the Pradaxa Lawyer Helpline today.
Pradaxa may lead to excessive bleeding and other complications that could cause severe injury or even be life threatening. If you or a loved one has taken Pradaxa and experienced complications contact Our Pradaxa Helpline today so that answer your questions and connect you with a Pradaxa Lawyer to discuss your potential Pradaxa Lawsuit.